Pages

Bowfinger (1999)



It took three viewings for me to love this movie, and now it's one of my favorites. If you watch this and find any part of it enjoyable but you're not sure about it, please, watch it again. And then one more time. I know I'm asking a lot. There are so many things out there you could be spending your time on, and I just requested that you spend six hours on one movie, but it is so worth it.


Robert K. Bowfinger (Steve Martin) is an aging, washed up actor/director who is trying one last time for success. He convinces several others to join his cause through various means. Some only agree to go along with the plan because Bowfinger promises the support of a big-time producer (Robert Downey Jr.), who agrees to green-light the picture if Kitt Ramsey (Eddie Murphy), biggest action star on the planet, is the lead actor.


Kitt Ramsey is an interesting fella. Here he is with his agent:




As you can see, Kitt is a bit paranoid. He has a lot of fears and seeks help from the organization Mind Head (a parody of something that rhymes with Shmientology). It doesn't help that Kitt rejects Bowfinger's offer to star in the movie, but Bowfinger decides to go ahead with filming Kitt in the movie anyway, and the movie is about an alien invasion. Kitt's paranoia and ignorance lead to some of the funniest scenes in the movie. Here's one (warning: some swearing):




There are so many great moments and quotes and people in this movie. You will give it a chance or three, won't you?




Music


Juliette and the Licks - Hot Kiss

   genre: slightly insane rock
   ideal for: running around town and kicking things because you feel like it
  Youtube


Squirrel Nut Zippers - Ghost of Stephen Foster

   genre: high-energy, old-timey jazz
   ideal for: jauntily meeting dead songwriters in hotels
  Youtube

2 comments:

  1. I have not been able to stop listening to Hot Kiss ever since I found it here. I'm loving Juliette and the Licks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camrianne, can I just say that I love this. You're freaking changing my lifeeee!

    ReplyDelete