Pages

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)



Swashbuckling fun.


Those are the two words that come to mind when I think about this movie. Not "gritty" or "realistic" or "dark," though those words certainly have their place in the spectrum of awesome. When I think about Robin Hood, however, I tend to want something like this movie, rather than Ridley Scott's recent film (although the original concept for it sounded fantastic).


Sometimes I just want to see swords go *click click* when they hit each other, and I want people to die instantaneously and without bleeding when they get stabbed in the stomach. And I especially want to see the dashing hero swagger all over the douchey villain.






The Crimson Pirate is good for that too. Just replace the clicking swords with explosions.


Robin's band of Merry Men make for more good viewing. Robin Hood's first meeting with Little John is one of my favorite scenes:



And it inspired the best part of Robin Hood: Men in Tights:



There you have it. Two hours of escapist fun. You won't regret it! I hope.


Rent it on Amazon
Rent it on iTunes

2 comments:

  1. I was both happy and sad after following the "original concept" link. Why Ridley Scott? Why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, isn't it awful? I want that movie to exist. When I'm super wealthy, I will pay to have that movie exist. If I remember. By that time, I'm sure I'll have descended into a haze of partying and drug abuse. That's what money does to people, I think. I wouldn't know because I don't have any.

    ReplyDelete