Pages

Oscar (1991)



Sylvester Stallone plays a reformed mobster in this comedy. That sentence might not surprise you, but the great timing and adeptness with which Stallone plays Angelo "Snaps" Provolone certainly surprised me.



It's hard to decide if I like the script or the actors better. On the one hand, the dialog is great, and the plot takes numerous twists and turns yet somehow manages to tie up all the loose ends. On the other hand, this movie has great performances by Tim Curry (The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Clue), Peter Riegert (the smart detective in The Mask), Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler, My Cousin Vinny), Kurtwood Smith (the dad in That '70s Show), and pretty much everyone else in the movie.


You know what, I'm going to declare it a tie.



This movie gets a pretty bad rap. I can't explain this, but I've never been able to explain why some of the best movies are ignored or lambasted while other terrible movies smash the box office. That's one of the reasons I started this blog. Also, I need more people to know that when I say "She seems to have such nicely rounded diphthongs" that it's hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment