Pages

Terry Pratchett


     "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."

If you aren't already a fan of Terry Pratchett, there is still time to fix this. Also, you're probably not English. If you see that as a problem, I suppose there's still time to fix that too.

Pratchett's work is great for people who like comedy. There's plenty of fantasy too, but if fantasy isn't normally your thing, don't worry about it. In fact, Pratchett spoofs the archetypes of fantasy often enough, maybe his books are perfect for you.

     “You can't map a sense of humor. Anyway, what is a fantasy map but a space beyond which There Be Dragons? On the Discworld we know that There Be Dragons Everywhere. They might not all have scales and forked tongues, but they Be Here all right, grinning and jostling and trying to sell you souvenirs.”

Most of Pratchett's books take place in the Discworld universe. If you like to see familiar characters popping up here and there, then I'd recommend reading several of those. I think it was Brandon Sanderson on the podcast Writing Excuses who said something like (no, I'm not going through the back catalog to find the exact quote), "Douglas Adams makes me laugh, but Terry Pratchett makes me care."

In other words, a lot of the appeal for these books comes from Pratchett's ability to write likable characters who you become invested in. You might not like every character, but there's a lot of them, so I'm sure you'll find somebody.

My favorite Pratchett novel so far is Going Postal. I'm not necessarily suggesting you start reading from there, because what if you think that's the best one too? Everything would be downhill from there. Read at your own risk, I guess.

And please remember:

    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment