Pages

Cat's Don't Dance (1997)





Are you depressed? Has it been a while since you saw a cute movie about animals trying to make it in Hollywood? Have I got a pleasant surprise for you!


Cat's Don't Dance features Danny, and eager young feline who just wants to perform. Do you remember the beginning of the (what is it? A dream sequence? A really elaborate pitch?) in Singin' in the Rain, when Gene Kelly runs around Broadway proclaiming "Gotta dance!" to everyone he sees? That's Danny, and the comparison to Kelly isn't surprising, as he was a choreography consultant for the movie.


If you find any charm in musicals set in the 1930s and can at least tolerate an adorable variety of cast members, then check this movie out. The song-and-dance numbers are serviceable:





The characters are also quite entertaining. My favorites as a child were always the villains of the movie: Darla Dimple and her trusty servant Max. Miss Dimple is clearly a parody of Shirley Temple, and her propensity to fly into fits of rage meant she was always more endearing to me than Temple ever was.




Miss Dimple also sings my favorite song from the movie, but I guess you'd just have to watch it to see what I'm talking about.


The other characters are great, though. Don't get me wrong. Even the token "most adorable thing ever" character, Pudge the Penguin, is much less obnoxious than some of the others of his kind (I'm looking at you, every Barbie movie ever made). (Don't ask me why I know that.)


Rent it on Amazon
Rent it on iTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment