Pages

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)




Most people heard about this movie, but most of them didn't go see it. I know I didn't. I've never really gotten on board with Wes Anderson as a director (The Royal Tennenbaums, The Life Aquatic), but that may change in the future. I certainly enjoyed this well enough.


Our title character is a former thief who gave up his dangerous lifestyle to provide some security for his wife and newborn son. That doesn't mean he's settled down, however. Mr. Fox's restlessness is apparent early on, and finds different ways of expressing itself.



The animation is one of the major focuses of this movie. Stop motion has never been used a lot in making movies, but it's always fascinated me. That people are willing to invest so much time in crafting the characters, props, and sets for something, and then spend endless hours moving them one tiny fraction at a time? Crazy. Plus, I always loved miniatures and doll houses as a kid (not the dolls, just their houses and the stuff in them), which makes this clip awesome to me:



Mr. Fox eventually decides that one more heist will settle him for good. This decision brings unexpected twists and consequences, but why should I explain them here? Go watch the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment